Do you want to see your designs featured in Your Crochet & Knitting magazine? We’re looking for designers for our early Summer issue. Read on to find out how to submit your design ideas…
By now we’re all really missing sun, sea and sand, and holidays abroad – so let’s enjoy a staycation! This issue is all about the finding cheer close to home, with toys and baby garments that bring a smile to your face, and home decor/lightweight accessories that brighten up your day. I’m looking for crochet and knit patterns from beginner to skill-stretching levels, but that make the most of this cheerful colour palette. Let’s keep the home-crafting joy going! You can find the full Pinterest moodboard here.
About the magazine
Your Crochet & Knitting is a quarterly newsstand title, widely available in supermarkets, newsagents and craft stores across the UK as well as select retailers worldwide. Each issue of the magazine comes with 6-8 balls of yarn, a crochet hook and knitting needles, so readers can get started right away. This means most of our projects are smaller scale, but we do also include larger patterns in non-kit yarns.
This issue’s yarn kit includes 8 balls of 4-ply yarn (approx 60-66m per ball) – you do not need to use all the colours, but bear in mind the yardage you will need. The crochet hook will be 3mm; the knitting needles will be 3.5mm.
- Comfy (white)
- Cosy (peach)
- Snug (bright pink)
- Cushy (deep pink)
- Restful (yellow)
- Peaceful (blue)
- Nestle (sand)
- Toasty (warm brown)
How to submit
Please send your submissions to me by email: email@example.com
Please create a separate PDF for each idea and name the file in the following format: YourName _PatternName_YCK19.pdf, with your name and email address on every page. Your submission should include a sketch and accompanying paragraph describing the item and a photograph or scan of your swatch. Please give us links to other examples of your work.
The deadline for submissions will be 9am UK time on Monday 14th December 2020. I am aiming to get all commissions sent out within a week or so of that date. Deadlines for final patterns and samples will be Monday 25th January 2021.
You will be commissioned to write a full pattern (including any alternative sizes) and crochet/knit a sample. We will take care of photography.
Compensation is on a sliding scale, the exact fee depending on the size and complexity of the project, taking into account the amount of labour required.
4 months after publication, rights will revert to you and you will then be able to use the final tech-edited version of the pattern (including charts/schematics) as you wish. We arrange yarn support for all designers. Your sample remains your property, but we will hold onto it for a while in case we get pattern queries, or for display at shows. We will return your sample to you at the same time as your publication rights.
- Return of samples – We’re happy to return samples to you. Any unwanted samples are donated to charity.
- International Designers – You are very welcome to submit, but remember that ours is a UK magazine so we’ll be using British terminology and you will need to use yarns which are available in the UK (which we will arrange to be sent to you). Postage of the sample may also be expensive for you.
- Photography – We will be taking care of all the photography for patterns, but the rights to photos will remain with us, so if you don’t want your sample back, consider taking photos before you send it in.
- Sewing/other non-knitting elements – We’re open to any and all good quality patterns, and if it needs a little sewing or embroidery, that won’t rule it out.
- Tech editing – We do have tech editors, but they will only be polishing your patterns – they won’t be doing any grading for you.
- Multiple submissions – There’s no limit on the number of ideas you can submit. If you receive multiple commissions, we will work with you to spread out your deadlines.
- Previously published patterns – As a general rule, I am not looking for patterns which have previously been published at all. If you’ve posted a couple of project pics online, that’s fine – but the patterns should come as a nice surprise for our readers when we publish them. Your commission is confidential until a week before the on-sale date of the magazine.
- Future calls – If you want to add yourself to the mailing list for future calls, just fill in your details at http://eepurl.com/b-_zQD